When it was my time to be dropped off on The Beauty Spotlight Team Desert Island I found myself enchanted by the idea of getting away from the stress of work and peacefully sitting on the beach and sipping a Mojito. That I was only allowed to take 12 items on this adventure meant that I really had to think through what I absolutely needed to have under those circumstances. The choices that I did make needed to be pragmatic, and the products needed to rank among my favorites, whenever possible. I also decided to take a more literal approach to being abandoned on a desert island. Realizing that I would have little need for makeup- I opted to make it all about skincare (both face and body). The nearby residing mermen provide the island guests with sunscreen and lip balm- therefore I was not required to bring those two items with me since they were available in limitless supply. I didn't bring tweezers or a razor in order to eliminate unwanted hair- because I assumed that the mermen were adept at using found objects on the island to take care of such matters (these mermen are sea spa certified aestheticians, and are both inventive and highly skilled at their craft). I am, therefore, embracing the idea that my island getaway is ostensibly a beauty retreat. I also didn't bring shampoo, conditioner, or a brush- because it is my hope that my ingenious mermen will have a solution, or that one of my Beauty Spotlight Team friends left some of these items behind. However, in a pinch I can always use a few of my beauty products to keep my hair clean and conditioned. I decided that since I was going to be exposed to the elements that I needed to bring lots of serums and potions that would fight free-radicals, and offer plenty of added anti-aging protection. My rationale was that anti-aging products coupled with a high SPF sunscreen would combat the aging effects of my exposure to the elements, and by the time that I was rescued my skin would be healthy, glowing, and gorgeous.
For the Face:
For the Body:
The individual products:
1) FutureDerm Time Release Retinol 0.5 (reviewed here): I swear by high quality retinol based products- they keep skin clear and lines at bay. I use it at night only, and then load up on sunscreen the following day to keep my skin ultra-protected after treatment (retinol can cause photosensitivity- therefore it is imperative to use a sunscreen everyday). My exposure to the elements on the desert island requires that I take extra good care of my skin- therefore I knew that I had to bring this retinol with me!
2) vbeauté It Kit (reviewed here): The It Kit includes large travel sizes of Undercover Agent Anti-Wrinkle Protecting Serum (reviewed here), Rub Off Gentle Facial Exfoliator (reviewed here), Evidence Eraser Gentle Foaming Cleanser (reviewed here), Buying Time Everyday Crème (reviewed here) and Eye Never Nourishing Repair Eye Crème (reviewed here). The It Kit is the perfect skincare travel companion because it really does include everything that you need for a getaway. I will use these products day and night, and the result will be gorgeous, clean, glowing skin. The carrying case is so chic, and it includes a nice big mirror that I will surely use daily on the island.
3) Koh Gen Do Cleansing Water (reviewed here): This amazing cleansing water will be the perfect must-have beauty treat while I am a resident on the Beauty Spotlight Team Desert Island. Not only is it a refreshing tonic for the skin, that I can use whenever my skin feels a little dirty, but it can also be used it lieu of a cleanser whenever I'm too tired to wash my face.
These three serums can be used individually or in concert, and when combined they are a triple threat in the realm of anti-aging products. The Antioxidant Face Firming Serum is a lovely face oil that has the fresh bouquet of oranges and orange blossom. It effortlessly melts into the skin leaving behind an amazing glow and exquisite hydration. When used with the Antioxidant Face Gel and Rose Plus Marine Collagen Complex, the skin is not only protected against free radicals, but the texture and clarity of the skin are markedly improved. My skin looks bright, clear, hydrated, and utterly amazing because of these three little bottles! They definitely rank among my greatest recent skincare discoveries, and will serve me well on the Desert Island (and when I return to civilization).
7) vbeauté Lip Spread (reviewed here): Lip Spread was chosen for this trip not only because it is filled with anti-aging properties, but also because it is a gorgeous pink-tinted lip gloss that I can also use lightly on my cheeks if I want an added pop of color. This is one of those Holy Grail products that I won't leave home without, and it was an obvious choice for my Desert Island retreat.
8) My Prime Skin Recovery Formula (reviewed here): This is an amazing serum that is a very lightweight skin-brightening treatment that gives skin an unmistakable dewy glow while simultaneously targeting skin damage. I wouldn't even consider braving the elements of the Desert Island retreat without having this little beauty warrior in my arsenal. This corrective serum will offset any inadvertent damage that the island weather conditions may cause, and the more prepared that I am- the better are my chances of maintaining beautiful and healthy skin! No desert island destination would be complete without the inclusion of this Holy Grail skincare magician!
9) Kate Somerville Exfolikate (reviewed here): While I do have a lovely exfoliator in my It Kit, I still had to include Exfolikate. Exfolikate is no normal exfoliator, instead it resides somewhere between a peel and a physical exfoliant. Exfolikate literally melts away dead skin because of all of the fruit enzymes and Salicylic Acid, and the effects are truly remarkable. It is a very powerful treatment that reduces the appearance of fine lines, gives the skin an unbelievable glow, and unclogs pores. On the evenings that I use this, I will skip my retinol, and just use a serum and moisturizer. I will continually repurchase this unbelievably effective product.
10) Rodin Olio Lusso Luxury Body Oil (reviewed here): This is definitely my very favorite body oil of all time. It is luxurious and delightfully moisturizing- making it an obvious choice. I can also use it in my hair for added moisture and conditioning.
11) Sponge Galaktoma Somatos Body Lotion (reviewed here): This gorgeous body lotion is filled with all sorts of anti-aging ingredients, and it was for this reason that I decided to bring it to use in conjunction with Olio Lusso. I will need to treat the rest of my body with the same care and respect that I would my face, and this lotion will offer ample protection.
12) kai deodorant (reviewed here): This is definitely my very favorite deodorant, and the lovely floral scent evokes an island paradise- therefore it is befitting that it would be one of my twelve choices.
The gracious mermen told me that they would bring me any lip balm and sunscreen that I would like to use during my stay- even if my choices were extravagant. I needed no time to decide what I wanted- so I submitted my order, and then waited on the beach for the merman to arrive.
Poor Sebastian the merman was swimming as fast as he could to make the delivery! And once he arrived, he handed me these three magical Holy Grail products and made me a Mojito. We chatted and he told me about some of the beauty treatments that I would be enjoying while getting some much needed R&R!
Since the sunscreens and lip balms were being provided to me in a limitless supply, I decided to use my beloved Clarins UV PLUS HP Ecran Multi-Protection SPF 40 (reviewed here) from head to toe! I also decided that I would choose two lip balms instead of just one because Sebastian suggested that some variation would be good. He asserted that I should use one with sunscreen for day use, and another without for use during the evenings. I chose my beloved Rodin Olio Lusso Lip Balm for the evenings (enthusiastically reviewed here), and the glorious By Terry Baume de Rose (reviewed here) for the days that I frolic in the sun since it contains an SPF. Between these two lip balms and my Lip Spread Anti-Age Tinting Lip Gloss- I will be set!
After Sebastian swam away, I crawled into my hammock and took the most peaceful nap without a worry or a care. Later I will take a nice long walk on the beach, and a dip in the ocean to hang out with the school of mermen. My stay on this lovely island is so peaceful that I might just hide when the Beauty Spotlight Team comes to retrieve me after my two week stay comes to an end!
While I am decidedly a city girl, and my idea of the perfect island looks more like this- I have to admit the peace and quiet of the Beauty Spotlight Team Desert Island offered me a level of relaxation that is seldom found in the midst of a busy bustling city.