Press Sample, Purchased & Samples (Affiliate Links)
I tend to like to purge things before the new year begins, and toward the end of 2015 I decided to donate piles of things that we were no longer using, and throw out things that were broken (and beyond repair). I like to start the new year off without feeling burdened by things that just take up space without ever being used. When it came to skincare products, I rounded up a pile of nearly used up products and decided to keep them in sight on my counter so that I would finish them up and recycle their bottles and jars early in the year. I actually found that method so effective that I am now making this a practice– otherwise things get forgotten about and lost in the back of the cabinet as new products find their way into my life.
Here is what I used up in January:
1) Relogy Dual Action Treatment Foam (Reviewed here): This cleanser lived in my shower for quite a long while, and I used it whenever I had pesky monthly breakouts. I found that it was remarkably effective at eradicating breakouts without drying out my skin. I really like that it is 95% natural, and that it is a gentle non-stripping foam.
Dual-action Treatment Foam. (It’s bubbly for a reason, not just ‘cause it’s fun.) 95% Natural, Relogy’s Treatment Foam uses the power of oxygenated bubbles to penetrate deep into your pores to start clearing acne immediately. This step also makes your skin look and feel softer, smoother and healthier. Use it as a cleanser with rinsing, or just apply and let it dry!
Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (from white willow bark - a multifunctional ingredient that addresses many of the systemic causes of blemishes) 0.5%, Benzalkonium Chloride 0.2% (gentle anti-bacterial often used in eye drops), Water, Sodium Laurel Sulfate (skin cleansing agent/soap derived from palm or coconut oils), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (derived from coconut oil - helps remove dirt and oil from the skin), Decyl Glycoside (derived from corn starch and coconut - helps remove dirt and oil from the skin), Sorbitol (derived from corn syrup - used to prevent moisture loss), Propylene Glycol (organic compound used as a stabilizer, delivery system and skin conditioning agent), Panthenol (a derivative of vitamin B5 used for moisturizing), PEG-75 (skin lubricant made from plant lanolin - used for moisturizing), Meadowfoam Flower Oil (extract from meadowfoam flower for moisture and anti-aging), Tetrasodium EDTA (preservative), Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot Orange) Extract (natural anti-septic to promote healing).
2) Alba Botanica Natural Very Emollient Body Lotion (Reviewed here): I really love this lotion, and have been purchasing it for years. It is filled with healthy ingredients, is easy on the wallet, and is widely available. I tend to pick mine up from Whole Foods when I am grocery shopping, but periodically find it on sale online. It leaves skin nourished, moisturized and very soft. I cut open the bottle and scraped out every last drop, and will definitely be purchasing another bottle soon.
An exquisitely light, natural body lotion packed with rich botanical emollients to soothe and soften skin while providing 100% daily hydration.* Alba Botanica Very Emollient™Body Lotion blends aloe vera, green tea and chamomile extracts plus antioxidants to help nourish and replenish skin on contact. Perfect for use in massage. This rich lotion absorbs quickly so it feels light enough to use all day, every day.
Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Certified Organic Ingredient), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Certified Organic Ingredient), Chamomila Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Certified Organic Ingredient), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract (Certified Organic Ingredient), Allantoin, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lecithin, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Alcohol (Certified Organic Ingredient), Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Fragrance
No: Animal Testing, Artificial Colors, Parabens, Phthalates, Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Methyl Sulfate.
3) Kiwi Glow Daily Skin Moisturizer Oil in Earth (Reviewed here): I love using body oils, and during the colder months I layer them under heavy creams or body butters to keep my skin super soft and moisturized. I really like Kiwi Glow oils, and promptly opened a fresh new bottle as soon as I finished this one.
This divine oil has hints of frankincense, patchouli and vanilla. Very earthy, very relaxing. Honestly! We only use simple, natural ingredients to create our daily skin oil. Pure, organic, cold-pressed sesame, known for its healing properties and skin benefits, is the foundation of this luxurious, lightweight oil. Did you know you consume four pounds of damaging toxins through your pores every year? Its why Kiwi Glow contains antioxidants that remove these harmful contagions, leaving your skin luminous and hydrated. Kiwi Glow also has an abundance of nourishing vitamins- A, E and B complex - to rejuvenate your skin naturally form smoother, healthier looking skin. Kiwi Glow is non greasy, absorbs easily and a little goes a long way.
4) Caress Adore Forever Body Wash (Reviewed here): This bright floral is offset by a slightly tangy berry top note that is warmed by the Amber, Honey and Vanilla. It is rich, yet light and airy. It is a lovely scent that fills the shower with its lovely aroma. It has a rich foam that cleans the skin without stripping it, and I it is emollient enough that I used it for shaving as well.
Caress presents a fine fragrance breakthrough with the world's first body wash with Fragrance Release Pearls. A touch-activated technology that releases a burst of perfume every time you touch your skin, all day long. New Caress Love Forever, an irresistible feminine fragrance with floral musk and sparkling pink roses laced in amber.
Revitalize your skin with Rituals Himalaya Wisdom Detox Scrub Salt - a deep cleansing, ultra-softening and cooling body scrub. It combines the ancient Ayurvedic ingredient Holy Basil for its calming properties with Fresh Mint to revitalize your body. Directions: Massage Rituals Himalaya Wisdom Deep Cleansing Scrub Salt into dampened skin. Rinse off with warm water in the shower or bath.eSalon HEART LOCK IT Color Safe Shampoo (Reviewed here): This is such a gentle shampoo that is specifically formulated to prevent color-treated hair from fading. It is non-stripping, and was very kind to my color-treated curly hair.
Heart Lock It Color Safe Shampoo gently cleanses color-treated hair without using harsh ingredients that cause color to fade. This nourishing blend of proteins and amino acids deeply moisturizes and strengthens all hair types, leaving you with beautiful results.
- Sulfate-free to extend the life of your hair color
- Protects color-treated hair
- Helps prevent damage due to environmental stress
- Gentle enough for daily use. For all hair types.
7) eSalon LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY Color Safe Conditioner (Reviewed here): This conditioner is super moisturizing, and effectively detangles hair and controls frizz. It's pretty hard to find a conditioner that makes my naturally curly hair shiny, but this one actually does.
Love Unconditionally Color Safe Conditioner adds moisture and shine to color-treated hair. Packed with beneficial amino acids and proteins, this advanced formula is designed to strengthen and soften all hair types, but is gentle enough to protect color from fading. Use it daily to condition and detangle color-treated hair.
- Nourishes hair cuticle to seal in color
- Sulfate-free to extend the life of your hair color
- Helps prevent damage and breakage from chemical treatments
- Guards against enviromental damage
- Natural proteins hydrate color-treated hair
- Gentle enough for daily use. For all hair types.
8) Terax Hydrate Color Locking Leave-In Conditioner (Reviewed here): I seldom use up a product before I review it, but by the time that I reviewed this I had about two sprays left. I absolutely love this stuff, and will definitely be buying a bottle soon. This leave my hair soft, frizz-free and manageable.
Terax Hydrate is a leave in moisturizing conditioner designed to close the cuticle after washing and treatment to seal in color and lock in moisture. Their exclusive blend of botanical extracts featuring sage, chamomile, fennel, hops and yarrow provide superior moisture benefits. Sunflower seed extract helps to preserve and extend the life of your color treatment. Use with either of Terax's Crema rinse out conditioners to pH balance the hair.
Ingredients: Deionized Water, Propanediol, Lauryl Alcohol, Arnica Montana, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow), Helianthus Annus (Sunflower Seed), Chamomile, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel), Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Urtica Dioica (Nettle), Salvia Officinalis (Sage), Glyceryl Caprylate, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Potassium Sorbate, Polysorbate 80, Fragrance.
Marc Anthony Hydrating Coconut Oil Shea Butter Deep Nourishing Conditioning Treatment: I love deep conditioners, and the more emollient and moisturizing the better. This left my hair soft, moisturized and frizz-free. I would definitely use this again!
Marc Anthony Hydrating Coconut Oil & Shea Butter Conditioner, extra hydrating formula instantly smoothes frizz and repairs split ends and breakage while creating soft, luxurious, supple hair. Coconut Oil and Shea Butter restore, protect and revive shine. Biotin deeply penetrates to fortify, nourish and supercharge healthier, faster growth. Hair is left healthy and frizz free. Color safe.
10) ProfilePRO Custom Scent Jasmine Lola's Shampoo: I really liked this shampoo based upon my limited experience with it, but sample sizes of shampoo or conditioner generally don't provide enough product to really see how my hair will respond to them over a longer period of time.
11) Aesop Classic Shampoo: I really liked this shampoo, and found it gentle and non-stripping, but once again I wasn't able to test it long enough to determine whether it was a good fit for my hair.
Aesop Black Label hair collection includes shampoos and conditioners scented with natural botanicals and enriched with proteins. The line is specially designed to address the unique needs of your scalp and hair without stripping hair of its natural protective oil.
Aesop Classic Shampoo is a balanced, gentle formula that lets you thoroughly cleanse your hair and scalp without stripping natural oils. Designed for frequent use, Classic Shampoo is perfect for all hair types.
A hydrating, brightening serum powered by time-tested Asian botanicals to bring color clarity and radiance to the skin. Contains licorice root, jujuba, scutellaria and silk extracts as well as squalane and HADASEI-3 Bioactive Complex, a proprietary blend of rice bran, green tea and red algae extract.
Formulated without mineral oil, synthetic color, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, PEGs, PPGs, urea, DEA, TEA or phthalates. Ideal for combination skin.
13) StriVectin-SD Instant Scrub: I found this sample sitting in my sample drawer, and didn't even realize that I had it. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was so gentle, soothing and calming that I was able to use it everyday without irritating my skin. I would definitely purchase a full size tube.
StriVectin-SD Scrub is an exfoliating scrub that cleanses and instantly retexturizes skin. Key ingredients provide exfoliation, while calming and soothing the skin, priming it for maximum absorption of StriVectin treatment products.
Removes surface impurities and dry skin cells to promote greater luminosity, smoothing of rough areas and improvements in skin texture and tone. See results in your mirror immediately and over time.
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Polyethylene, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-2 Cocamide, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Helianthus Annuus (Sun_ower) Seed Oil), Sucrose Cocoate, Triethanolamine, Jojoba Esters, Alcohol, Polyquaternium-39, Cetearyl Alcohol, Acrylates/C10- 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, Ceteareth-20, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Avena Sativa Kernel Flour (Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour), Myristyl Nicotinate, Disodium Edta, Magnesium Nitrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Avena Sativa Kernel Extract (Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract), Potassium Sorbate, Tocopherol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Benzoate, Citrus Medica Limonum Fruit Oil (Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Oil), Salvia Sclarea Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara Oil (Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Oil), Hexamethylindanopyran, Tetramethyl Acetyloctahydronaphthalenes, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia Fruit Oil (Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil), Mentha Piperita Oil (Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil), Dodecahydro- Tetramethylnaphthofuran, Homolinalyl Acetate, P-Menthanone.
The custom grown (and über rare) TOM FORD BLACK ORCHID is the show-stopping note in this incredibly luxurious scent. Sultry woods and rich fruit accords help to bring out the skin's natural perfume, and the jet-black, art-deco inspired bottle adds to the fragrance's overall glamour.
Notes: Black Truffle, Black Orchid, Black Plum, Noir Gourmand Accord, Patchouli.
15) Goldfaden MD Doctor's Scrub: I have used several sample packets of this exfoliant, and really like it a lot. I need a few more tries to decide whether I want to buy it.
Dr. Goldfaden's coveted exfoliator contains powerful ruby crystals that provide immediate cell renewal by polishing away dead surface cells, leaving brighter, clearer and younger-looking skin. Daily use improves the appearance of fine lines, reduces pore size, and leaves you with a healthy, radiant complexion.
Created by renowned dermatologist Gary Goldfaden M.D., this naturally conscience range forgoes chemical ingredients in favour of antioxidants and active plant-based complexes that offer the most effective results.
Ingredients: Ruby Crystals, Distilled Water, Jojoba Oil, Apricot Kernel, Squalene, Hyaluronic Acid, Laurenth-7, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Polyacrylamide, Butylene Glycol, Seaweed Extracts, Phenoethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Oil Of Grapefruit, Red Tea Extract.
What did you finish up, toss out, give-away, or return in January? Did you find any must-haves, or regrettable purchases? Do tell!