Zeus anticipating 2014
Here are a few things that I plan to continue doing in 2014 (and a few things in which I will likely indulge):
1) Using what I have. I will continue to keep myself accountable by revealing my monthly empties posts, and I will continue using my makeup in Project Make-A-Dent. I abhor waste-- particularly when I am the one being wasteful. There is something so satisfying about tossing empty containers in the recycle bin knowing that I actually used the contents rather than pouring my money down the drain.
2) Continue to repurpose products that didn't quite work for me. If, for example, I have a face cream that is far too rich for my combination skin-- then I use it on my face and décolleté. I have used rich eye creams on my cuticles, shampoo misses as body washes, and conditioner misses as shaving creams. I have also learned that many facial cleansers that are too stripping for my face are perfect as shave creams and body washes. If I have a friend who will benefit from a product that I can't use-- then I will give it to her/him. However, often times a miss for me will likely be a miss for them as well. The most extreme case that I had was a horrible shampoo that was far too stripping to use even as a body wash-- so stripping in fact, that I used it to clean my shower and bathtub (and it did an amazing job).
3) Drink less coffee and more water. Pretty self explanatory! When I am spending long hours in front of the computer working I find myself drinking coffee later in the day than I should. I have been replacing those afternoon cups of coffee with big glasses of water instead.
4) Be even more thoughtful about my beauty purchases. I have so much skincare and makeup that something has to be really spectacular to warrant the purchase. Just because it is from a highly anticipated limited edition collection does not mean that I have to buy all, or any of it. I have gotten pretty good about this over the years. I have thought about this issue a great deal and wrote about it in greater depth here.
5) While I stand by what I said in #4 that does not mean that I am impervious to new collections. With all of the buzz surrounding the upcoming Spring 2014 collections, the one that I am eagerly anticipating is the Tom Ford Color Collection for Spring 2014. The 8 Tom Ford Sheer Lip Colors in nudes, pinks, reds and oranges look stunning (preview here). The nudes and the pinks have captured my imagination! I will swatch the collection and then decide if any are must-haves for me.
6) Continue reorganizing my makeup and skincare products. I need to get things organized in a manner that allows me to see everything at a glance (so that I don't forget what I have) and to be able to reach things without creating an avalanche of products.
7) Deep condition hair more often. Because of our busy schedules it becomes all too easy not to give hair a special deep conditioning. I'm not talking about the hair mask in the shower that you leave on while you shave-- I'm talking about the kind that you leave in your hair for an hour or two as you lounge about the house with your hair wrapped in a plastic shower cap and a big towel. During the colder months this will go a long way to keeping your hair in good shape-- especially if your hair tends to be dry or damaged.
8) Try more skincare products from Radical Skincare, African Botanics and Goldfaden MD! These lines utterly blew my mind in 2013. I will have many more reviews from these lines in 2014.
9) Continue to use my many skincare samples in an effort to find a real gem among the masses of tiny bottles, tubes and packets. Samples are such a great way to discover what works and what doesn't. It is a great way to save money on the many misses out there, but I am determined to find an amazing gem that is so great that it warrants being purchased. Clearly the trick is that you have to have enough of the product to see whether it will actually work for you. One small sample packet doesn't provide enough product to give you any real idea of how it will work for your skin.
10) Try a few new organic skincare/bodycare lines. With all of the chemicals and GMOs that we ingest-- it makes a great deal of sense to have more organic products in my beauty arsenal. I am careful to eat organic foods whenever possible-- so adding more organic products into my beauty routine seems very sensible.
Do you have a list? If so, what's on it?
Copyright © 2014 www.lolassecretbeautyblog.com All Rights Reserved.