Sunday Riley Modern Lip Color features richly pigmented lipsticks that were created to hydrate and protect the lips. These are creamy, one -swipe, full coverage lipsticks that wear for 4 hours because of their advanced pigment delivery system. Each lipstick is housed in a gorgeous and luxurious gold case that is manufactured by the same people who make the lipstick cases for Tom Ford- though these cases are much lighter than the one's that house the Tom Ford lipsticks. This is lipstick luxury incarnate! To see my 3 Part Post of all of the Sunday Riley Modern Lip Color Lipsticks click here.
1) This formula was created as the next generation of lip color. The formula has anti-aging and collagen building properties that help to repair and prevent the aging of the lips.
2) This formula is filled with Stable Vitamin C that was specifically chosen because it helps maintain youthful lip volume while fighting lines. Vitamin C bolsters collagen levels to maintain youthful plumpness. Vitamin C also helps to reduce melanin production, brightens the skin, and repairs the effects of UV damage as well as helping to fend off other types of environmental damage.
3) Proprietary "signature" technology is implemented in the making of this product. "Advanced color molecules activate when applied to the lips- offering long lasting highly vibrant 4 hour wear." This is achieved by attaching high impact pigments to soothing base molecules which results in long lasting fade proof wear.
4) Non-stop hydration and conditioning with 10% Shea Butter. This keeps lips soft and smooth.Key Ingredients:
1) 10% Shea Butter: This delivers a "high level of hydration for prevention and treatment of dry, chapped lips."
2) Stable Vitamin C: "Increases collagen levels to maintain youthful plumpness." It also reduces melanin production and simultaneously brightens the skin. Vitamin C also is instrumental in repairing the harsh effects of UV exposure as well as mitigating damage from other types of environmental factors.
3) Beeswax: The healing properties of Beeswax soothes the lips. It also has antiseptic qualities that combat the proliferation of germs and microorganisms.
4) Advanced Color Molecules: As noted above, this is Sunday Riley's signature technology that "uniquely attaches high impact pigment to soothing base molecules." This revolutionary technology creates a very unique ingredient that is responsible for the long wear time of this lipstick formula.
The color that I chose to review today is Shakespeare- a lovely blue-based nearly mid-tone pink. Please note that the stock photo from Dermstore shown above is lighter than Shakespeare appears in reality, but the stock photo on the Barneys website is a far darker rosy pink with more red than the actual lipstick appears. My photographs will give you a far more accurate assessment of the color.
Shakespeare is a perfect shade for the summer, and indeed is the perfect shade of blue-based pink: it is neither too light, nor too dark- making it a perfect go-to color for any occasion. I find that Sunday Riley makes good on the promise of a four hour wear time. It has a very interesting texture in that it is a touch drier than lipsticks that have lots of slip (dry here in no way is being equated to the opposite of moisturizing), but it is not dry in the same way that one expects from a matte lipstick. Instead it lacks a great deal of slip, but instead applies to the lips as a second skin with a comfortable snug fit. Because the formula adheres to the lips so well it is not prone to bleeding or migrating. When I wear Shakespeare all day long I notice that my lips feel soft, supple and moisturized. One might suggest that this formula lasts and wears like a matte in terms of longevity, but has the appearance of a satin finish. It really is an amazing lipstick with an incredibly innovative formula.
**UPDATE** July 14. 2012: A very off-putting thing has happened with my tube of Shakespeare Lipstick since my initial review. I am not certain whether I would classify this lipstick as having turned- because it does not smell rancid. However, I take exceedingly good care of my makeup, and when I went to use it the day before yesterday I noticed that it not only took multiple passes to get any pigment on my lips, but that once I finally got it to adhere to my lips it began to separate and literally ball up and roll off. It immediately began to degrade as soon as it was on my lips! It did not do this when I initially bought it a touch over a month ago, but now it is certainly deemed unwearable. Just to be clear- it has not been subjected to rapid fluctuations in temperature, and save for a couple of days that I carried it with me it has been stored in a cool dry place (which is how I store all of my makeup). It is therefore fairly obvious that my lipstick is deteriorating very rapidly and for no apparent reason. I have never had anything quite so strange happen to a lipstick- especially not one that is so expensive.
Overall assessment: June 6, 2012 This is a fantastic lipstick formula and a gorgeous shade of pink that is sure to thrill even the pickiest lipstick aficionado. I love it and have two others, but there are definitely more shades in my future!
$32.00 available at Barneys New York and Dermstore