This is for my friend Zuzu*s Petals (from Everyday Beauty)- not only to celebrate her love of blue-based red lipsticks, but also to make a visual response to the question she posed in her most recent article. In "Wearing Red Lipstick...Do You?" she asked whether her readers wore red lipstick- so for a girl who has often feared red lipsticks I made the discovery that I had quite a few in my stash. Therefore, I have selected some of my favorite red lipsticks, lip glosses, and Lip Butters to show you. I have found that all of the lipsticks look phenomenal blotted down and used as a stain- if one is looking for training wheels in wearing red lipstick (which is precisely what I do!). I varied the lighting in order for you to get a better idea of the true color of each shade. The lip glosses and the lip butters prove to be a fool proof way to wear red as they are very easily sheered out or built up- depending on your mood.
1) Susan Thompson Cosmetics: Creamy Lipstick in Joplin (a gorgeous classic blue-based red)
2) Sunday Riley Modern Lip Color: American Rose Lipstick (a dark and rich blue-based red)
3) MAKE UP FOR EVER: Rouge Artist Intense #45 (blue-based satin raspberry red)
4) MAKE UP FOR EVER: Rouge Artist Intense in Moulin Rouge #43 (a satin vibrant red)
5) MAC: Unknown Pleasures (Mattene from Posh Paradise- LE) ( a deep intense blue-based red)
1) Chanel: Glossimer in Spark (raspberry red with shimmer)
2) MAKE UP FOR EVER: Lab Shine Lip Gloss M10 (Morello Cherry with fuchsia and ruby shimmer)
3) LORAC: Bejeweled Lip Gloss Collection Red Ruby (gorgeous blue based ruby red)
4) Susan Thompson Cosmetics: Pout Poppers in Evelyn's Journey (a reddened burgundy plum with gold flecks)
1) Revlon: Colorburst Lip Butter in Red Velvet #40 (a deep blue-based red)
2) Revlon: Colorburst Lip Butter in Cherry Tart #70 (a mid-toned blue-based red)
If you simultaneously love and fear red, then lip glosses and lip butters are a really nice way to get your feet wet!