If you have ever wanted a beauty insider's guide to the best at-home pedicure, then you will love this tutorial from beauty expert Skyy Hadley.
The tools you need to get a spa-like pedicure at home:
· Cuticle remover
· Cuticle pusher
· Cuticle nipper
· Nail clippers
· Nail file
· Nail polish remover
· Cotton balls or pads
· Base and top coat
Here is a step-by-step guide to get the perfect pedicure:
· Apply cuticle remover and allow it to sit for the time indicated on the packaging
· Using a cuticle pusher, push cuticles back away from the base of your toenails. Clean feet with your body wash or soap to wash away cuticle remover
· Use a cuticle nipper to very carefully remove any loose cuticle or hangnails. You don’t want to cut into your cuticles. Nicking this area can lead to infection.
· If necessary, trim nails down to a good length
· Use a nail file to smooth and shape your toenails
· Using a cotton ball or pad, wipe each toenail with nail polish remover to remove excess oils
· Next, apply a base coat to all toenails
· Add nail color, apply two coats
· Clean up, use a nail brush or an orangewood stick and polish remover to remove any polish slips
· Finish by applying a clear top coat to protect your work
To make your feet less rough/sough stick your feet in a tub of warm water for about 15 minutes. You can add a capful of distilled white vinegar and/or a few drops of tea tree oil if you’re concerned about fungal infections. For water retention or particularly achy feet, toss in a couple of tablespoons of Epsom salts. Next, to slough off the dead skin, gently dry your feet, then have at the bottom of your feet with a serious foot file. I recommend using a Ped Egg to get rid of the dead skin.
For applying polish to prevent chipping or smudging reapply a layer or clear topcoat every two to three days.
Skyy Hadley recommends using two particular products to make your pedicure last longer:
· Lauren B. Gel-Like Top Coat ( gives you a long-lasting gleam without all the harmful chemicals.
· Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail & Cuticle Oil increases nail flexibility and helps softens nails.